photo

photo
I love to decorate.... whether it be one style at a time or all at once...

Saturday, October 24, 2009

week end finds

Well last week actually, I went to a garage sale which was just down the road. It was a combination of garage sales that is held in a local hall, they like to do this once a year and for the last couple of years I really didn't find much, but this year was different! 
  I managed to pick up this gorgeous chest of drawers.  I am thinking of putting these either in the lounge room or Lisa's bedroom. I had been wanting some drawers and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them and cost me all of $40. There is a bit of a story behind them though as when I asked the gentleman the price he told me to wait for his mum to arrive as they were hers. So I did. When she did finally arrive I asked again and the elderly lady said I could have them for $40, which I snapped up and paid for immediately. But whilst I was looking at other stuff there, the gentleman who sold me the drawers came up to me with this other woman (who was claiming she saw them first) and said that he had promised the drawers to her. Now I saw this woman come in and it was after me! That alone started to make my blood boil and I was already shaking my head like 'no way' are you getting these drawers. I told her I paid for them fair and square and besides the guy happily took my money and the deal was done! I did feel a little sorry for the woman for missing out on a bargain. Just a little...

I also purchased this mirror from the same guy and the little ornate bedside table which I just fell in love with, I'm thinking of leaving it just the way it is.



It is blue that has been distressed in some areas more than others so I might just "even it out" a little. It has a concave drawer in the front which I thought was cute, but I might add a little crystal knob as it has no handle. I am thinking of putting this in the lounge, and the other mirror in the family room.

These were all purchased from the same gentleman as he had a lot of furniture there and I would have probably kept looking if that silly woman didn't keep whinging about the drawers, so I just went home before it got ugly!!  Well, atleast I HAD the drawers, yay! Have a great week end, Maryann

11 comments:

The Pink Poodle said...

I LOVE your story...

HEY i would be MAD as hell..& i would THINK about bringing my OLD legal skills into play re a contract?? offer/acceptance/consideration etc..
re arguing about it all..BUT in the end I would probably CHICKEN OUT!!

i would be thinking it...but maybe too scared to say it!!

BUT in the end...we DONT need stress...& the drawers look totally FAB for $40.00!!!
soo a GREAT buy in the End..

xx andrea

10 Minute Crafter said...

OMG, $40!! That has to be the bargain of the century, gosh you're lucky!! They are amazing. The mirror & table are wonderful, such fabulous finds! lol, poor lady, I'm glad YOU got them though, you paid first : )
Hope you're having a beautiful, sunny weekend
Sheryn xoxx

Antique Rose Designs said...

Your finds are gorgeous you got a bargain on the dresser there is no way you would let that one go. Have a great weekend. Carol

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

Congrats on coming out the victor...too bad for the other lady, maybe she'll find some awesome drawers somewhere else! ;) I love the mirror and little table too!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Beatiful items for a wonderful bargain! Good for you, not letting that woman take them from you!!

Anonymous said...

I too love this story.
What a great bargain, no wonder you didn't think twice before paying for them. As for the other woman, too bad, so sad!!!
Enjoy your new purchases, can't wait to see what you do with them & where you place them.
Sarah

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Maryann

WOW WOW WOW!!!
Great finds, my eyes are popping out of my head here.

I have been to garage sales where the owners have had to call in the police over similar situations - scary hey?

lucky girl you are and you deserve it after what you've been through

shabby*vintage*dreams said...

AWESOME picks Girl!!! Well done!!! The drawers are amazing and yep I woulda had a fight for em too!!
Good for you!!
hope your having a FAB week!

beachvintage.com said...

I cannot believe $40, I would have been jumping on it and crying. This is amazing! Thanks so much for dropping by Beach Vintage and leaving a comment.

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Hello MarionDee,
What's that saying "Snooze you loose" But it was the guy she should of been upset with if he did promise her the dresser. Anyways, you really got a lot of beautiful pieces.... I'll take the little ornate table please... it's gorgeous.

Enjoy your Evening-

Siobhan said...

Hi Maryann,

I just LOVE your finds!!! Good on you. To me the seller must have got a better offer and wanted to make more money...not nice...plus you already paid so tuff luck!

Siobhan xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails