photo

photo
I love to decorate.... whether it be one style at a time or all at once...

Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Potager.. or as we call it down under 'vegie patch'

We are well into summer here in Australia. Infact we have been having a bit of a heat wave this week.. but what's an aussie summer without a few scorchers. Thought I'd show you something I'm REALLY into apart from my sewing and decorating .. and that's my vegie patch.


 Here are the front views.. the fence is a boundary from my back yard and the back paddock.


Looking from the back...that little shed was Lisa's cubby which I am hoping to convert into a practical garden room one day..


It would be a dream of mine to be totally self sufficient. To be able to feed my family off our land, I would even have cows and sheep. But I don't think that will happen soon, so for now I am quite happy to grow what I can myself to save a few dollars and also know that my vegies are organic. I grow many plants from seeds as this is the cheapest way to go.

At the moment I have growing.. zucchini..

way too many tomatoes, they are growing into each other from one row into the other...


Needless to say we have been eating lots of brushettia (I'm sure I spelt that wrong but you know what I mean) and I also love making home made sauce and freezing it for my next pasta meal instead of buying cans of tomatoes.

Cucumbers...
Watermelon...
I like to put little mats underneath my melons and pumkins.. keeps them clean.

Radichio


Spinach or silverbeet
Climbing beans..

I'm also a very keen recycler and put all my garden and kitchen greenwaste back into a compost heap to reuse in the vegie patch..

and here is my harvest for the day...

Yep, I sure do love summer.
take care, Maryann
ps I've just woken up to pouring rain..hallelujah! Our fellow Queenslanders had to endure cylcone Yasi last night but thank God it was downgraded from a catagory 5 to a cat 3. and there are no casulaties or fatalities.

10 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your potager looks wonderful! I am dreaming about mine, but since we are still in winter here for a few more months, I will just have to dream.
Hugs,
Penny

Gail McCormack said...

Love your veggie patch.
Nothing better than home grown!

Gail xx

Rebecca Nelson said...

Seeing all your veggies and the SUNNY SKIES makes me LONG for Spring and Summer. Everything looks fab! Nothing better than homegrown stuff!

You bless me with your comments sweetie. You bless and bless.

Love to you~

Rebecca

Pamela said...

Thank you so much for a taste of summer as I look out on to snow covered ground! There is no such thing as too many tomatoes.

Comeca Jones said...

Oh Marion how beautiful! I could feel the warmth of the sun from here .But I guess you know Texas is very cold now How I yearn for warmer days.

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

This makes me seriously yearn for summer! We are in the middle of a huge ice storm right now.
Gorgeous garden pics!!!

Amy Chalmers said...

I am so impressed with your garden maryann, wow! what a harvest. I had a little garden but nothing like your venture. I like the idea of feeding my family off my land too! By the way I got a potential customer asking me to draw her home after she saw yours...I'll be sending yours today.

Serendipity Chic Design said...

This is GORGEOUS and I am sooo jealous of your weather. I have been doing nothing but shoveling snow around here!

Take care,
Lisa

The Pink Poodle said...

Dear Maryann...when can i come up for dinner consisting of your vegies?? lol..

THAT is fabulous...I am in AWE!!~~

my mum & dad have a vegie patch & dad gives me lots of nice goodies each day...
I just (today) ate a whole cucumber after tennis!!

hey it was my first day back at tennis after 6 weeks & the OLD girl was hungry!!!

Honestly though..it looks just DELIGHTFUL & I wish i was one eighth as clever as you to know what to do with soil/fertiliser etc..
I am messing around with what to plant in my two planters beside my front door??

ps...i have just covered a candle in the vintage music sheet paper...it looks really good..??
is there a secret to this process i should know about though??

I dont think I will burn it as it might BLOW UP~~!!!

xxx andrea

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Maryann...

My friend, I am sooo enjoying my visit to your blog! I have been meandering around for quite some time now! Hehe! Eeeks...I hope that I don't appear to be a stalker!

You have such a beautiful home and piece of land! I sooo enjoyed getting a peek of your garden! You have some really yummy things growing out there! Mmmm...fresh veggies...sounds so good right now! Of cousre we are in the dead of winter here in Colorado. No fresh veggies to be had!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

PS...so glad to hear that all are safe with all the storms that you have been experiencing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails